Tonight’s bible study was about showing mercy. Pastor Rick Warren states 4 reasons why we should be merciful.
- God has shown me mercy. (Ephesians 2:4-5)4 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.
- God commands me to be merciful. (Hosea 6:6) For I desire mercy, not sacrifice,
and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.
- I’m going to need more mercy in the future. (James 2:13)13 because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.
- Showing mercy brings or causes happiness. (Proverbs 14:21) It is a sin to despise one’s neighbor, but blessed is the one who is kind to the needy.
How do you show mercy?
- Be patient with people’s quirks. (James 2:13, 3:17)
- Help anyone hurting around me. (Proverbs 3:27, Romans 12:8)
- Give people a second chance. (Ephesians 4:31-32)
- Do good to those who hurt me. (Luke 6:35-36)
- Be kind to those who offend me. (1 Timothy 1:13,16)
- Build bridges of love to the unpopular. (Matthew 9:10-13)
- Value relationships over law. “Love over Law” (Matthew 12:1-8)
31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another,forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.